Home About Me Clip Art Product doterra doterra

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Chapter 3 - Text-Dependent Questions

Welcome Back!  

I just wanted to say Thank You to Mrs. Wills for hosting this book study!  This book is amazing the information not only conforms what I do in my closed readings, but it is providing me with so much more depth on how to beef them up.  I only wish I would've found this book sooner!


Whenever I am reading a book, attending a class or conference, I always think about the way I was taught or the way my own children were and are being taught.  What could the educators have done to help and make learning better?
We were expected to just get it, no explaining it, no helping, just understand it.  
Things have changed a great deal in the lower grades and even in a few of the higher grades.  Reading this book is giving me a real insight on how I can start this process with my pre-k kiddos. 

Vocabulary 

Teaching vocabulary has been a very big push in our district.  It is also the hardest thing to get teachers to teach with meaning.  Teachers tend to want to teach vocabulary in isolation, when in reality it needs to be taught within the text, this will provide a richer meaning and understanding of the words and phrases.   

This is a big struggle in pre-K, our curriculum suggests we teach words in isolation, based on the theme we are studying.  Coming from 1st grade and coaching other teachers to teach text within the close read, it seems second nature to me.  My goal this year will to get our other teachers to see the importance of this. 


 

In this chapter there are many examples on how the teachers help children understand "How the Text Works".  I think it is so important to remember that not every child will get the text in the same way and at the same time, supports need to be in place to help this happen.  

In pre-k we can began looking at how the text works by asking questions about the vocabulary.  As stated in the book "If a reader knows the meaning of the words, the text is more likely to be understood".  Second, asking questions about the text structure and identifying the different types of structures.  Third, by looking at and understanding the author's craft, this will facilitate a deeper understanding of the text.  

By reading the text more then one time we can take little pieces of the text and dive into it, helping the kiddos develop their thinking skills.  






post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment